Gateway staff and students believe that with a growth mindset driving how we think, all can succeed. Success comes when we BELIEVE that we have a part in GOD’S STORY and we INVEST in ACTIONS that TARGET our growth here on Earth. It’s an Education for Eternity. As Gateway EDUCATORS... Playing our part in God’s story means that we are committed to Equity, Literacy, Completion and Teaching for Transformation - to ensure the SUCCESS of all learners.
Teaching for Transformation
- We are excited about bringing home the theme Playing our Part in God’s Story this year, with a focus on OUR PART. In our worship times we explore how we all have a role to play. Each month we will focus on one of the throughlines; during worship time, devotions and in our classrooms.
- At Gateway Christian School we believe that all students have the ability to succeed, and that the diverse learning needs, personal situation and/or social circumstances of students will not be obstacles to their success. Teachers in grades K-5 have been using collaborative time to plan lessons, and deliver groups, especially for reading, that target students with specific skills and abilities as readers. In high school, teachers have been using FLEX time in order to meet with students individually or in small groups, in order to increase their abilities in certain areas of writing, reading, studying or specific content material.
High School Completion
- Often when we think about completion, we think about the number of students that graduate from our schools each year. This is an important part, but does not tell the whole story. Completion includes the work all of our students, parents and teachers do in order for children to be successful at school as well as later on in life. Grade 9 Connections groups have begun with staff and students meeting in small groups to discuss high school transition, pressures students face and how true support can take place; MyBluePrint is a web based program that you will be hearing more about across the middle and high school classes this year and in years to come, that helps students set goals, consider future plans, and work towards success in these areas; Got Your Back is back! For another year, Mrs. Loonstra is organizing teachers/staff across grade levels to connect with every one of our high school students to encourage, touch base, and sometimes just spoil them; Buddy time is another way that students connect across grade levels. Big buddies and little buddies spent some Worship time this past week getting to know each other.
- At Gateway Christian School we believe that literacy is the foundation for learning. We believe that all students can learn to a high degree and that we can get them there. We believe that a comprehensive literacy plan will support and ensure students are literate in all areas. In grades 1-5, teachers have collaborative reading groups to help target students reading skills. In grades 6-12 we have daily silent reading time to reinforce reading skills. We continue to develop Gateway’s Literacy Framework. Our framework is based on four guiding principles.
- Literacy development provides all students with a strong foundation for school success and achievement
- Supports must be timely, based on best practices and developmentally appropriate for each student.
- Classroom teachers are crucial to students’ ability to succeed.
- Teachers will work collaboratively with each other to provide targeted reading support at each grade level.