Good Morning Everyone,
Hope you are having a great start to the week! We have a short week coming up for students - students have classes Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.
►Thursday, Feb. 14th is a K-Gr. 12 Staff PD Day - no school for all students
►Winter Break is from Friday, Feb. 15th - Feb. 22nd
Hope you all have an opportunity to partake in the Canada Winter Games festivities and events.
Golfing in the Library!! Mrs. Vaartstra did an amazing job setting up a mini golf course in our library. Students and staff alike enjoyed the course and had so much fun! It was a great activity for our indoor recess days last week. Thank you Mrs. Vaartstra!
Here are our "Caught Reading" Winners!
Thank you parents for sending in pictures of your children reading! Here are our winners! Keep those pictures coming ... email your pictures to Mrs. Snyder (firstname.lastname@example.org). Our next draw is after our Winter Break - Thursday, Feb. 28th!
Gr. 3-5 Swim Lessons tomorrow (Tuesday, February 12th) - last day for swim lessons
Please remind your son/daughter to bring their swimming gear.
Students leave the swimming pool with wet hair - please remind them to bring a toque/hat & gloves. Sometimes their socks get wet in the change rooms, so an extra pair of socks is a good idea.
Swimming makes students extra hunger so please pack an extra snack tomorrow.
Please join us for our SCHOOL COUNCIL MEETING tomorrow night - click AGENDA
It's cold out there... and Gateway is going to do something about it.
Message from Mrs. Tataryn - On February 23rd, together with thousands of Canadians across the country, I will be walking and fundraising to support hungry, homeless, and hurting people and families in our community. We're giving back for all that the Mustard Seed has done in Red Deer for our families and community. Our school is directly supported by the generosity of this community partner (lunches, breakfast program, etc). I know that you already do so much to serve and contribute to our community, but if this project touches your heart - like it does mine, consider donating. Please consider giving generously by clicking the link below. Thanks!
This Wednesday (Feb. 13th - weather permitting) our school HART (Healthy, Action, Relationship Team) led by Geri Lee Sayers and her student team will be sponsoring a Winter Walk (as was done last year) for our student population. What a great way to come together, promote health and wellness and enjoy the great outdoors. Please join us for a half hour walk on Wednesday at 1:17 p.m. Any donations received will be added to what is raised online for The Mustard Seed.
Donation Link: Coldest Night of the Year Fundraising Link
Invite to Gr. 6 families -
Mark your calendars...
Verifying your child's important school information
Thank you to all parents who have gone through the process and verified their children's information in our student record program POWERSCHOOL. If you have not verified your son's/daughter's information, please promptly do so. Not sure how to get started?
1. Set up a parent account. For information and step-by-step instructions please click SETTING UP A POWERSCHOOL PARENT ACCOUNT. You will need your child's access ID & password (please reply to this email and I will send you the information... or I'd be happy to set up your parent account for you).
2. Verify each child's information. For step-by step instructions please click VERIFYING INFORMATION IN POWERSHOOOL
Gr. 4 & 7 parents: Please partake in the Annual Accountability Pillar Survey. Surveys were mailed in January with the option to fill out the paper copy or the online version. Your participation is IMPORTANT! Don't miss this opportunity to be heard!
Please find below information from Alberta Health Services on the benefits of participating in winter activities.
For more resources on the benefits of winter activities, please click -
Here are our reminders for the week:
Monday, February 11th
- Boston Pizza
- Jr. boys basketball practice 11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
Rec Ed walking to Michener Curling Rink (noon - 1:50 p.m.)Cancelled
- Jr. girls BB practice 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday, February 12th
- Sr. boys basketball practice 7:15 - 8:15 am
- Mrs. Lodewyk's Kinder Class: Friendship Day
- Gr. 3-5 swimming lessons (last one)
- Gr. 3 - 6 RC Club at lunchtime recess 11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
Rec Ed walking to Michener Curling Club (noon - 1:50 p.m.)Cancelled
- School Council meeting @ 6:30 p.m. in the school library. Agenda attached
- Gr. 4 - 8 Ski Club from 3:30 - 4:15 p.m. (weather permitting)
- Sr. girls basketball game @ Eastview 3:45 - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 13th
- Sr. girls basketball practice from 7:15 - 8:15 a.m.
- Popcorn Day for Gr. 5-8 students and Mrs. Lodewyk's kindergarten class
- Ms. Rhoad's kindergarten class: Valentine's Day Party in the afternoon
- Mrs. Lodewyk's kinder class: Friendship Day
- Buddy Worship - Pink Shirt Day Activity @ 9:46 a.m. in classrooms
- NO KNITTING CLUB TODAY
- Winter Walk at 1:17 p.m. (weather permitting)
- Gr. 5 girls basketball game here vs. Ecole La Prairie
- Grade 5 boys game has been rescheduled as a practice in Gateway's big gym after school from 3:15 - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, February 14th
- K-Gr. 12 students: No School (Staff PD Day)
Friday, February 15th
- 4:00 p.m. deadline to order Freshii Hot Lunch
- GCS Hockey Team: Game in Rocky @ 7:45 p.m.
February 15 - 22: No School Winter Break
Friday, February 22nd:
- last day for Accountability Pillar survey submission for Gr. 4 & 7 parents
Saturday, February 23rd
- Mrs. Tataryn is walking for "It's Cold Out Here" Mustard Seed Fundraiser.
Have a wonderful Winter Break with your children,